When truck drivers get distracted on the road, it’s a big safety problem, and we need to figure out if truck drivers are getting distracted while driving. So, let’s talk about some easy ways to check if a truck driver was driving while distracted.
Frequent Distractions for Truck Drivers
Truck drivers face a lot of distractions on the road because of the demands of their job. Though they’re supposed to take breaks, they often have to work really long hours, which can make them more likely to get distracted while driving. Things like using their phones to fight boredom or eating while driving instead of stopping are pretty common. Here are some things that truck drivers often get distracted by:
- Using Phones: Because they have tight schedules, truck drivers might text or call while driving. This can be a big problem and was found to be a factor in 9% of crashes, according to a study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Eating or Drinking: Truckers try to save time by eating while driving, but this can lead to distracted driving. The FMCSA study linked 16,000 crashes to drivers feeling like they had to keep driving without taking breaks.
- Using Truck Systems: Modern trucks have cool systems for navigation, communication, and entertainment, but sometimes these can distract drivers when they should be focused on the road.
- Getting Tired: Working long hours and having tough schedules can make truck drivers really tired. This tiredness can make them lose focus or, in serious cases, even fall asleep at the wheel. Fatigue was a factor in 18,000 crashes, making up 13% of incidents in the FMCSA study.
It’s super important to understand and deal with these distractions in the trucking industry to make sure that drivers are safer on the road and to reduce the chances of accidents.
Proving Distracted Driving
If you got hurt in a big truck crash and think it happened because the truck driver was distracted, Mesadieu Law Firm’s team of truck accident lawyers is ready to assist you. We know how to gather the right proof to support your case for compensation:
- Dashcam Footage: We can get and check out footage from dashcams in the truck, your vehicle, or other vehicles involved. This video evidence shows what the driver was up to before the crash, like using their phone or doing other distracting things.
- Witness Accounts: Our lawyers will talk to people who saw the accident happen. They might have seen the truck driver doing things like texting, talking on the phone, or using in-car entertainment systems.
- Cell Phone Records: We can legally get the distracted driver’s phone records. These records show if they were on the phone during the accident, with details like calls, texts, or data use – solid proof of distraction.
- Expert Opinions: We’ll get advice from experts who can look at the accident and give their professional opinions on whether distracted driving probably caused it.
- Vehicle Data: Our team can get info from the truck’s black box or event data recorder (EDR) to learn about its speed, acceleration, braking, and steering. If there’s a lack of braking or evasive steering just before the crash, it suggests the driver was distracted.
- Driver Statements: If the distracted driver admits to not being focused or gives inconsistent statements about what happened before the crash, we can use these statements to show they’re at fault. Mesadieu Law Firm is here to support you every step of the way.
You Need a Lawyer On Your Side
When big trucks cause serious injuries, it often leads to hefty medical bills. This could mean more money for those hurt, but trucking companies and their insurers might try not to pay.
Our skilled lawyers can look at all the ways your injuries have affected you, from medical costs to the money you’ve lost because you can’t work like before. We make sure you get a fair settlement and can even stand up to the trucking company if they try to make you settle for less than you deserve. Hiring a lawyer is super important to make sure you’re treated fairly and get the compensation you need.
What to Do if You’re Injured by a Distracted Truck Driver
If you’re ever injured by a distracted truck driver, the important thing is to act promptly. After calling 911 for immediate help, the next step is to get in touch with us at 844-3-RIGHT-BY-YOU (844-374-4482) or fill out our case evaluation form today. We’re deeply committed to holding accountable those drivers who cause harm to our fellow New Yorkers through distraction or drunk driving. Our promise is to fully support you, working to achieve justice for both you and your loved ones.
Make us your reliable legal advocates. Our dedicated and compassionate team of lawyers at Mesadieu Law Firm stand ready to help you. We’ll Stand Right By You. We’ll Do Right By You.