K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

Bringing Love Across Borders: Your Guide to the K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you’re a U.S. citizen planning to marry your foreign fiancé(e), the K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa is the way to make it happen. This visa lets your fiancé(e) come to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married, but you need to tie the knot within 90 days of their arrival.

The Process in Simple Terms

  1. File a Petition: You, as the U.S. citizen, start by filing Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This shows your relationship is legit and you intend to marry.
  2. Approval and Processing: Once USCIS approves the petition, it goes to the U.S. Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.
  3. Visa Application: Your fiancé(e) applies for the visa, completes the DS-160 online form, and attends an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.
  4. Documents and Interview: During the interview, your fiancé(e) provides necessary documents to prove eligibility for the visa. If approved, they can travel to the U.S. and must marry you within 90 days.

Important Notes

  • The K-1 Visa is temporary, allowing your fiancé(e) to enter and marry. After marriage, they can apply for a green card (permanent resident status).
  • The process might vary, so check the USCIS website or consult with an immigration attorney for the latest info.

What to Provide for the Fiancé Visa Application

  1. Form I-129F: The petition filed by the U.S. citizen.
  2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship: Documents like a passport or Certificate of Naturalization.
  3. Proof of Relationship: Photos, letters, or other evidence showing a genuine relationship.
  4. Intent to Marry Proof: Documents indicating plans to marry, like an engagement ring receipt or wedding plans.
  5. Divorce or Death Certificates: If either party was previously married.
  6. Passport Photos: Passport-style photos for both.
  7. Form DS-160: The online nonimmigrant visa application for the foreign fiancé(e).
  8. Medical Examination: Results from a medical examination by an authorized physician.
  9. Financial Support Documents: Proof that the U.S. citizen can financially support the fiancé(e).

Remember, additional documents may be needed based on individual circumstances. Always check the embassy or consulate’s requirements and consider seeking advice from an immigration attorney.

Fiancé Visa Interview: What to Expect

The interview is a crucial part of the Fiancé Visa process. Here’s what you can anticipate:

  1. Appointment Notice: You’ll receive notice of the interview date, time, and location. Be punctual.
  2. Document Checklist: Bring required documents like passport, DS-160 confirmation, birth certificates, police certificates, and financial support evidence.
  3. Security Screening: You may undergo security screening at the embassy or consulate.
  4. Interview Process: A consular officer will ask questions to verify your relationship, eligibility, and intent to marry. Be ready to discuss your relationship history and plans.
  5. Language: The interview is usually in English. If needed, bring an interpreter.
  6. Supporting Evidence: You might be asked for additional evidence of your relationship.
  7. Decision: At the end, the consular officer will inform you of their decision. If approved, you’ll get instructions for the next steps.

Remember, embassy or consulate procedures may slightly differ, so follow their specific instructions.

After Marriage on a Fiancé Visa: What’s Next

After tying the knot on a Fiancé Visa, the journey continues:

  1. Marriage Certificate: Get a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
  2. Adjustment of Status: File Form I-485 to transition from nonimmigrant to a Green Card holder. Include supporting documents.
  3. Biometrics Appointment: Attend a biometrics appointment for fingerprinting.
  4. Employment Authorization: Apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to work while your Green Card application is processed.
  5. Interview: USCIS may schedule an interview to validate your marriage and eligibility.
  6. Green Card Approval: If approved, you’ll receive a conditional Green Card valid for two years.
  7. Remove Conditions: Before the two years expire, file Form I-751 to remove conditions and get a 10-year Green Card.
  8. Naturalization: After a few years with a Green Card, you may be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization.

Remember, the process may vary, and staying updated on USCIS guidelines or consulting an immigration attorney can help ensure a smooth transition.

Children of U.S. Citizen K-2 Visa: Rights, Benefits, and Eligibility

If you’re a U.S. citizen bringing your fiancé(e) to the U.S. on a K-1 visa and you have children, they can also come with you through a K-2 visa. Here’s what you need to know:


  1. The child must be unmarried and under 21 years old.
  2. The child must be your biological or legally adopted child.
  3. The child must be listed on the K-1 visa petition you filed.

Application Process

  1. File a separate Form I-129F petition for each eligible child, along with necessary documents.
  2. Once your K-1 visa is approved, submit the child’s K-2 visa application to the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.
  3. The child attends a visa interview, providing required documentation like a valid passport, birth certificate, medical examination, and police clearance.

Rights and Benefits

  1. With a K-2 visa, the child can travel to the U.S. and live with you.
  2. They can attend school, get a driver’s license (if eligible), and enjoy other privileges available to U.S. children.
  3. The child can apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) and access healthcare and social services.

Duration of Stay:

The child’s K-2 visa is usually valid for the same duration as your K-1 visa. Once in the U.S., the child can apply for a green card to become a lawful permanent resident.

Consulting with an experienced immigration attorney can help ensure a smooth process for obtaining a K-2 visa for your child. Keep in mind that immigration laws may change, so it’s wise to stay updated through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or consult with an immigration attorney.

Limitations of K-2 Visa

While the K-2 visa is a great option for children of a K-1 visa holder, there are some limitations to be aware of:

  • Age Limit: The child must be under 21 when the visa application is filed. Turning 21 makes them ineligible, and other immigration options need to be explored.
  • Dependency: The child’s eligibility depends on your K-1 visa status. If your visa is denied or revoked, it affects the child’s K-2 visa status.
  • Duration: The K-2 visa’s validity aligns with your K-1 visa. If you don’t marry within the required timeframe, it may impact the child’s status.
  • Limited Benefits: While the K-2 visa allows entry and stay in the U.S., it doesn’t automatically grant eligibility for certain immigration benefits. The child may not sponsor other family members unless they obtain a green card later.
  • Dependency on U.S. Citizen Petitioner: The child’s eligibility is tied to your relationship with the K-1 visa holder. If your marriage ends before the child’s status is finalized, it affects their immigration status.

Consulting with an immigration attorney helps understand these limitations and navigate the process effectively.

K-2 Visa Requirements

The K-2 visa allows the children of a K-1 visa holder to join their parent in the U.S. Here are the key requirements:

A. Qualifying Relationship: The child must be unmarried and under 21, the biological, step, or adopted child of the K-1 visa holder.

B. Parent’s K-1 Visa: The parent must be engaged to a U.S. citizen, with a pending or approved K-1 visa.

C. K-2 Visa Application: The child applies at the U.S. embassy or consulate with necessary forms, documentation, and fees.

D. Medical Examination: Like the K-1 visa holder, the child might need a medical exam to meet U.S. entry health requirements.

E. Interview: The child attends an interview to verify eligibility for the K-2 visa.

F. Intent to Depart: The child must show an intention to leave the U.S. when the K-2 visa expires.

Initiate the K-2 visa application through the U.S. citizen petitioner (parent), ensuring compliance with requirements. Consult with an immigration attorney or the U.S. embassy for specific guidance.

K-2 Visa Interview

The K-2 visa interview is a critical step in securing a visa for the child of a K-1 visa holder. Key points to know:

  • Attendance: Both the child and the K-1 visa holder parent attend the interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Documentation: Bring required documents like completed visa forms, passport, photos, birth certificate, medical reports, police certificates, and other specified documents.
  • Interview Process: A consular officer assesses the child’s eligibility, asking about the relationship, immigration intentions, and relevant details. Honest and accurate responses are crucial.
  • Supporting Documentation: Additional evidence, like photos or communication records, can strengthen the parent-child relationship claim.
  • Language Interpreter: If not fluent in English, bring a neutral third-party interpreter to translate.

Prepare by reviewing K-2 visa requirements and application information. Check embassy guidelines and consider seeking advice from an immigration attorney for optimal support.

K-2 Processing Time

The processing time for a K-2 visa varies, influenced by the embassy’s workload and individual case circumstances. Typically, it aligns with the parent’s K-1 visa processing time.

On average, it takes several months, covering initial application submission, the visa interview, and visa issuance. Check the specific embassy’s website for current processing times, potential delays, or updates.

To ensure ample processing time, submit the K-2 visa application early, considering travel plans and other factors. Note that processing times can change, so staying informed is crucial.

K-2 Visa to Green Card

While the K-2 visa doesn’t directly lead to a green card, transitioning is possible. Here’s how:

  • Once the K-1 visa holder (parent) marries their U.S. citizen fiancé(e) and becomes a permanent resident, the K-2 visa holder (child) can also apply for adjustment of status.
  • The child files for adjustment concurrently with the parent, meeting requirements like maintaining valid K-2 status and being physically present in the U.S.
  • The process may involve a medical exam and biometrics appointment.

Every case is unique, so consulting with an immigration attorney or professional ensures a clear understanding of specific requirements and procedures for a successful transition from a K-2 visa to a green card.

K-3 Spouse Visa

The K-3 visa is like a special ticket for the husband or wife of a U.S. citizen. It was made to help couples spend less time apart when dealing with immigration stuff. With this visa, the foreign spouse can come to the United States while waiting for their paperwork to get approved. Later on, they can apply to become a permanent resident, which means they can stay in the U.S. for a long time.

Let’s break down the key points about the K-3 spouse visa in simpler terms:

  1. Purpose: The K-3 visa is like a special permit for the husband or wife of a U.S. citizen. It lets them come to the United States while the government is going through the paperwork to decide if they can stay here permanently. The main idea is to keep the couple from being apart for too long.
  2. Eligibility: To get a K-3 visa, a few things need to be true:
    • The person asking for the visa (the petitioner) must be a U.S. citizen.
    • The petitioner has to fill out a form called I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) for their foreign spouse.
    • The marriage between the petitioner and their spouse has to be real and legal.
  3. Application Process: Getting a K-3 visa involves a couple of steps:
    • The U.S. citizen files a form called I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) to show that their foreign spouse should be eligible for the K-3 visa.
    • Once that first form is approved, it goes to the National Visa Center (NVC) at the U.S. Department of State. The NVC tells the petitioner and their spouse to start the next steps for the visa.
  4. Immigrant Visa Process: After arriving in the United States with the K-3 visa, the foreign spouse needs to apply for a special visa that lets them become a permanent resident. This involves more forms, documents, and fees submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  5. Rights and Limitations: People with K-3 visas can stay in the United States while waiting for their permanent resident application to be decided. They can also apply for a job by filling out a form called I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). However, it’s important to know that having a K-3 visa doesn’t automatically mean the person will become a permanent resident.

Remember, it’s really important to check with official government sources like USCIS and the U.S. Department of State for the most accurate and up-to-date information about how to apply, who’s eligible, and if there are any recent changes to the rules for the K-3 spouse visa.

Let’s simplify the information about how U.S. immigration law defines a spouse

In U.S. immigration law, a spouse is someone legally recognized as a husband or wife. Here are the main points to understand:

  1. Valid Marriage: To be considered a spouse under U.S. immigration law, your marriage must be legally valid. This means it should follow the rules of the place where you got married, like having the right paperwork.
  2. Gender Doesn’t Matter: U.S. immigration law accepts both opposite-sex and same-sex marriages. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender or the same gender.
  3. Real Marital Relationship: The couple must show that their marriage is genuine, not just for immigration reasons. Immigration officials (USCIS) look at things like shared money responsibilities, joint assets, living together, and the intention to build a life together.
  4. Where You Got Married Matters: U.S. immigration law cares if your marriage is legal where it happened. Even if some places in the U.S. might not recognize your marriage, immigration looks at whether it’s valid where you got married.

Remember, immigration laws can change, and the details might be a bit different depending on the type of immigration process. For the most accurate and up-to-date info about spousal relationships and immigration, it’s a good idea to check the USCIS website or talk to an immigration attorney who knows the latest rules.

K-3 Visa Eligibility Requirements

Let’s break down the information about the K-3 visa and its processing into simpler terms:

Understanding the K-3 Visa: The K-3 visa is like a special permit for the spouse of a U.S. citizen who lives in another country. It helps them come to the U.S. while waiting for their permanent visa application to be approved.

Requirements for a K-3 Visa

  1. Marriage to a U.S. Citizen: The person applying for the K-3 visa must be legally married to a U.S. citizen, and the marriage should follow the rules of the place where it happened.
  2. Petition by the U.S. Citizen: The U.S. citizen spouse needs to submit a special form (I-130) to show that they’re married to the person applying for the visa.
  3. Immigrant Visa Application: The person applying for the K-3 visa must have a visa application (Form I-130) filed on their behalf by the U.S. citizen spouse. This visa application should be in progress with the U.S. immigration office.
  4. Living Outside the U.S.: The person applying for the visa should be living outside the United States. If they are already in the U.S. on a different type of visa, they might not need a K-3 visa.
  5. Temporary Stay Intention: The person applying for the visa must show that they plan to stay in the U.S. temporarily. They should leave the U.S. once they get their permanent visa or if their marriage with the U.S. citizen ends. 

Why Get a K-3 Visa: The K-3 visa is meant to help married couples be together while dealing with the immigration process. Once in the U.S., the spouse can apply to work and might be able to become a permanent resident.

Steps to Get a K-3 Visa

  1. File a Petition: The U.S. citizen spouse files a form (I-130) to show they’re married.
  2. Receipt of Notice: After filing the form, they get a notice confirming the application was received.
  3. File Form I-129F: The U.S. citizen files another form (I-129F) to ask for the K-3 visa.
  4. Provide Documents: Along with the form, they need to give documents proving the marriage is real.
  5. USCIS Review: The U.S. immigration office reviews the application and might ask for more information or an interview.
  6. NVC Processing: If approved, the case goes to the National Visa Center (NVC), and they guide the next steps.
  7. Consular Processing: The spouse goes to the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country for an interview.
  8. Visa Issuance: If everything goes well, they get the K-3 visa to travel to the U.S.
  9. Enter the U.S.: At the U.S. border, they show their visa and go through the entry process.
  10. Adjustment of Status: Once in the U.S., they can apply to become a permanent resident (get a green card).

Benefits of the K-3 Visa

  1. Being Together: It helps couples stay together in the U.S. while dealing with immigration.
  2. Faster Entry: The process allows the spouse to come to the U.S. more quickly.
  3. Work Authorization: The spouse can apply to work legally in the U.S.
  4. Travel Permission: They can freely travel in and out of the U.S.
  5. Adjustment of Status: They can later apply for a green card to become a permanent resident.

Remember, the K-3 visa process can change, so it’s smart to check the official U.S. immigration website or talk to an immigration expert for the latest details. If you need more help, you can reach out to Mesadieu Law Firm at 844-3-RIGHT-BY-YOU.

Take the First Step to Family Unity

Related Cases